Thursday 28 July 2011

28/7/2011 - The Parkway

I was up kinda early this morning. Well, early-ish for me. Okay, 9am, not early at all and actually when most people get to work. Emma took Jess to an appointment so I stayed home and watched the kids. It went relatively well, with only one tantrum from Adam when it was Enoch's turn to watch Yo Gabba Gabba but that was soon solved with cookies. I also Skyped with Mum, it's nice to talk to her when there's daylight in England.

When they were done, we all went out to lunch at Ruby Tuesdays where I had the most delicious chicken with mushrooms, some kind of sauce, zucchini (courgette) and green beans - yay vegetables. I've been missing vegetables. Today we were going to go to Blowing Rock, but instead took a drive along the Parkway, something Emma's been wanting to show me for a while. It was worth the wait.

The whole Parkway stretches all the way from Georgia to past New York, and this little bit here seems to center around this big mountain called Grandfather Mountain. Reminds me of a book I used to read when I was little called Man Mountain, where the whole mountain was actually a sleeping giant who one day woke up. The mountain got it's name when pioneers noticed that you can pick out the face of a man in the cliffs. The website tells me that one of the early explorers was Daniel Boone, the town's namesake. We drove over the viaduct and saw lots of amazing views, walking around it makes you feel so small, tiny and insignificant. Looking out on the mountains, I knew I'd fell in love with Boone and North Carolina.










We hung out at Birch Tree for a bit and me and Emma blitzed the disaster that was her car, which is now shiny clean! Tonight we're going back to Birch Tree because it's Maggie's birthday and there's a bit of a party I think, so yay! he plan for tomorrow; Blowing Rock!

1 comment:

  1. So the viaduct (which is one of the parkway's most famous features and best engineering accomplishment especially for the time it was built) was only created because the guy that owned grandfather mountain refused to sell his land or let them build through it. Hence they had to come up with some way to go around. I know many interesting things about the parkway (had to do a project on it for a class!)

    ReplyDelete