Sunday 24 July 2011

24/7/2011 - Goodwill and Other Adventures

I fell asleep listening to Harry Potter again last night, so spent the first 10 minutes of being awake untangling myself from my iPod headphones this morning. I wonder if anyone has ever died from being strangled by headphones in their sleep... I'm gonna Google that shit.

The first three pages had nothing rleated, so I'm going to go ahead and say it's safe to carry on. I'm in a very distractable mood so I apoligise in advance for tangents.

I laid in bed for a while because it was comfy, but couldn't head back off to sleep because Adam and Enoch had found their way downstairs, as they often do, and were making noise. It's not as if it was 6am though, so it's actually quite an effective way of waking up. Showered, dressed and ate half of the sub I had left over for breakfast whilst watching MTV. This morning, Enoch had been playing the keyboard that's been on the floor in the corner of the room. I questioned myself as to why I hadn't played this yet?! I played a piano at Emma's Mum's in Raleigh, but only for 5 or so minutes. I spent about the next hour messing around playing little bits. It makes me sad that of all the songs I've ever learnt, I can only remember 'I'm Yours' by Jason Mraz and that's only because it's 4 of the same chords all the way through. It's a good song though, and because I had my computer I could look up other stuff.

They give away free Xbox's here?! There was just a commercial (sorry, advert) on for if you buy a laptop you get a free Xbox.... bastards.

Adam took the kids out today, so Emma and I decided to head out just to get coffee, just to get out. We ended up driving downtown in the bumpy truck, but it had started to rain and there were no parking spots close by so we gave up on that idea and went to Goodwill. I'm sure you all already know, but for those who don't, Goodwill is a nationwide charity shop pretty much, and I found some pretty sweet things, dirt cheap.

This book cost just 50¢ and it really reminds me of one that my Mum used to have called  Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book, except there are no squished fairies in this one. 

It has fold out letters and beautiful script...

... a fold out old-style map of Sussex (with all kinds of old English references)....


... little envelopes of cute notes....

and little booklets. 
 The whole thing is just so cute and I love it and for 50¢ it's amazing!
This super cute shirt was only $3.75 - like new!

To be really cheesy, for 10¢ I got these, in the colours of ASU.

We bought this for Enoch, I know it's a Boohbah but it's as big as him! Also, how creepy is it behind that headrest?!

Oh, and a cute little picture!
Also spent some time laughing at a hilariously sweet little woman in there who had one of those little old woman voices. Other funny things included finding a photo frame with a photo of a couple still in it, and no it wasn't the picture that comes with the frame, trust me.

When we finished here, we went over to Birch Tree to see Jess for the first time since we left for Raleigh. Then we found that Maggie, Julian and their friends were going down to the river. We kind of invited ourselves along but they were cool with that. We drove out to some place that is apparently called 'Snake Pit', although Emma had first thought we were going to 'Trashcan Falls'... neither of these names filled me with confidence for the time ahead. Once we got there it was a short walk along a trail, past a hobo who bought a beer from Julian's brother for a dollar, to get to where we could get into the river. The water was lush, even though I felt quite a few fish, Mum you would have hated it. Drank a beer, chilled out and it was lovely.

On our way home we got Subway and both the guy behind the counter and Emma laughed when I said tom-ar-to. I proceeded to point out also that it's [par-mes-an] not [parm-a-sharn] and [or-eg-ar-no] not [o-rag-eno]. I actually love the little differences like that though, like courgette being called zucchini here or no one understanding the phrase 'nicked'.

We were considering going out tonight, but I guess we're both pretty tired so we'll save that for another night. Instead I've eaten, watched Family Guy, American Dad, The Simpsons and the Cleveland Show and written this.

Here's some photos I forgot I'd taken on my phone.

Cinnamon sugar pastry rolls Emma made one night - yum!

Individually packed cakes - just for you Dad, I know you always complain about how things are not individually packaged.

The stream at the greenway.

Adam at the greenway.

The greenway itself.

Adam on our trip to Raleigh.

Enoch on our trip to Raleigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment