Wednesday 27 July 2011

27/7/2011 - Drinking 101

After Sunday, Monday was rather quiet.
The bikinis I ordered when I was at home finally arrived and they're lovely! I also bought some clothes, because everything here is so cheap - I spent £30 and got 3 whole outfits, bargain.
Most of Monday was spent chilling out and tidying around.

Yesterday, we went over to Birch Tree to see Jess, and also Emma had an appointment. When I had ordered my clothes, the site wouldn't accept a UK billing address so Emma let me use her card. When I went to get money out to pay her back, there was no doing it. There is no way to do a bank transfer and then the cashpoint at the State Employee's Credit Union wouldn't accept my card because it had an 'invalid card number'. So we went to the Bank of America ATM, I used this is New York too, but they usually charge $3 for withdrawals which sucks. So we get there and my PIN is wrong. I'd put in the PIN for my credit card. I figured I'd just pay for things on my card until I could find my PIN, because here you don't need a PIN to use a credit card, sometimes you don't even need to sign. When we got to Burger King and I tried to pay, my card was declined because of an 'invalid PIN maximum error' - what!? I'd only put it in wrong once...
When we got back to Birch Tree I called the company who told me my account was fine and not frozen. I didn't believe them, so I called back and spoke to a different guy who told me it was indeed blocked out and reactivated it for me; why would they give me the wrong information in the first place? Eurgh.

Emma's friend Adeline got here last night. She used to live here and is really nice, and she is so so pretty, just like a Barbie doll. Beka ended up babysitting the kids so that Emma, Adeline and I could go to trivia at the Town Tavern. We got there and although it was busy, we didn't have quite the same chance as we did last time. Plus, halfway through the guys we'd teamed up with left - that's just rude! I'd had half a bottle of wine before I left but was still very sober. Me and Adeline drove back to the house so I could pick up some liquor to keep in my bag and put in my coke. This worked well and by the time we left to go to Murphy's, I was smashed. Adeline had an old copy of Emma's ID which expires in January 2012, so I've got that now for when I'm out not with Emma or for when I move on. So so grateful! We masterminded a 'foolproof' plan to go in at separate times, but I didn't even end up getting carded!

I spent most of the night sitting at the bar, talking to this guy called Chris. I met his friend Jen and also some people who knew Adeline who just wanted me to say things in my English accent, and I learnt a bit about American drinking I guess;
1. Lemonade is not generally kept behind the bar here, meaning my SoCo and Lemonade is often replaced by SoCo, sour mix and soda water, which is actually very nice though.
2. A Black and Blue is half Guinness half Blue Moon.
3. Shots here are bigger.
4. A snakebite here is not lager and cider, it's something else.
5. In fact, what they call cider is apple juice and is not alcoholic - crazy!

Still yet to learn how to play beer pong.

After Murphy's we came back here to carry on the party. I distinctly remember spending a lot of time looking at the stars, because it's so clear up in the mountains, and me and Chris ended up seeing 3 shooting stars, although I missed one that was right above us apparently. Some old-ish guys from Tennessee kept wanting me to come inside and talk in my accent, but it was so pretty outside. I had a good conversation with Jerry last night too, he's a real good guy. Emma had gone to bed, and Adeline kinda disappeared, so not wanting to spend my night with random guys from Tennessee, we went to bed.

I still have two bottles of wine here, I hope I'm allowed them in my hold luggage to take with me, if I don't finish them before!

Today I am not nursing a hangover thankfully, so I might go out and get a coffee in a bit and chill out. It's a nice day again today, not too hot. Might Skype some people at home. I spoke to my Granddad and Chris the other day which was super nice, and of course I love speaking to Mum. One week left in Boone, gonna try and make it a good'un.

No comments:

Post a Comment