Sunday 10 July 2011

10/7/2011 - The Afternoon After the Morning Before

I've been sitting here for a while with this page open, trying to write, but I guess I'm just not in the mood. But I will persevere as I promised you all I'd write as often as possible.

Remember how I told you that yesterday was quiet? Well, it didn't turn out that way in the end. When I'd stopped writing, I went downstairs to do my washing up in the laundry room. Let me give you some background here. In exchange for staying here, one of the things I've been doing is getting through a backlog of laundry. That's fine because laundry can actually be quite relaxing, especially when there's a drier so it's quick. I'd got through pretty much all of the laundry by yesterday, so was really proud because I like to finish a job. When I went into the laundry room to wash up, all was fine. When I turned around, the floor was flooded. In the space of ten minutes, the floor had flooded. I rushed over to the washer to turn it off and grabbed loads of towels, but they got so sodden I had to go get more. When I'd cleaned up the water, I went to get Emma. Turns out, the washer basically hadn't drained between the wash and rinse cycle. We took some of the clothes out and mopped up some more. Emma phoned her Dad and Jess for advice, but it was looking more and more like a professional job needed doing. I felt so guilty. Okay, I know that I hadn't actively broken the washer, but I was the one who had been using it so much and now it was broken. When Emma tried to turn it on again the drum wouldn't move and it made a bad whirring noise and smelt of burning, so we concluded that it was the motor. Luckily, just that day Emma had been telling me how she thinks one of the neighbours refurbishes appliances out of his garage. No one was mad, but I still feel guilty.

Marci made a lovely dinner of cubed steak in a sauce, rice, courgettes (it's called Zucchini here by the way) and creamed potatoes. Again, I went back for seconds. My plan whilst in America is to put on weight, then be able to live off my fat reserves in future countries when I have no money. Also decided during the day was that Emma and Adam were going to have a party at the house! Yay! It all began because Emma had friends coming into town, who ended up not actually coming, but we partied anyway, naturally.

After dinner, we hung out the the garage, but I wasn't really feeling much like drinking. I had some SoCo and lemonade but I kept zoning out. Not as if I was bored or tired, but I've been zoning quite a lot lately, not being aware of what's going on around me, completely oblivious and in my own little bubble. But maybe that's just because my hearing is bad and I can't understand what people say as it is.

Ah! As I write this I've just realised what the weird noise I keep hearing is, there's a massive cricket stuck behind the blinds! I hate bugs so I'm gonna move downstairs, now that Toy Story 3 has finished.

We played a drinking game, and talked and hung out and it was good. Then people wanted to go to the bar. I really wanted to go but I really think that being underage causes so much aggravation and I really don't wanna deal with that... now if I could get myself some fake ID.... No seriously though, I really don't wanna go through the whole "No, sorry, I don't have ID." thing again - I paid my dues!

So we carried on the party in the garage. Emma had found two of her friends at the bar and bought them back, but also a guy my age (yay!) called erm... I wanna say Nate but I don't know if that's true or if I'm just thinking of a stereotypical American name! Turns out, those guys had been talking me up at the bar, so this guy was all interested. He ended up leaving though cos he could get a ride home. It soon became clear that his ride was the guy on the door from the bar. This is good because apparently I can now go out... as long as that guy is on the door... but it's an improvement to the prior situation. Then these other guys turned up who had been dropped at Jerry's house up the road. They were okay, bit quieter, but one was soooo drunk he was stumbling. At least, I think he was drunk, but two other people told me he'd been in a car accident in the past and was brain damaged. I have a problem with this though because then why would they take him out drinking on a Saturday night? Bullshit. This guy is so drunk that he ends up opening Marci's car door and falling asleep on the back seats. He also kept opening Emma's car doors.... not cool. It got to 3.30am-ish and me and Emma decided to go in. She came downstairs with me for a bit and we had a chat about many things, we're getting on so well, loving it. Finally fell asleep around 4.30am, after realising that it was 9.30am in the UK and people would just be getting up! I also acquired the nickname of Mary Poppins... I wonder why!

After going to sleep at 4.30am I didn't get up until noon today. I came upstairs and they were about to watch Toy Story 3, so I watched that, and then everyone napped bar me, when I started writing this. In the middle I got distracted by an hour long Skype call to Mum, which was lovely but now here I am. It's getting towards 5pm, and I should eat something... probably just a yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment