Saturday 2 July 2011

2/7/2011 - Welcome to Boone, NC

Wow it's July - okay so when the hell did that happen? So sorry for not updating you guys for a couple of days but I've just been hanging out here and having so much fun!

I've been here in Boone with Emma and Adam for two days now.. although I haven't met Adam yet as he's had to work and things (maybe he's fictitious?) I'm sure he's lovely, as Emma is and the boys are too. It's much better here than in New York; I'm more relaxed, I'm sleeping better, and I'm surrounded by people with good hearts.
The mountains here are just beautiful, and it's nice to breathe clean air.

So yesterday Emma picked me up at 6ish from the bus stop, and I just felt like everything was okay. I was so glad to be on my last bus ride, and on the final transfer I got so excited, looking out the window listening to Busted (I know, hello 2003!) and chatting with people through free wifi!

Everywhere has wifi here, like all the bus depots, so awesome.

So my first Greyhound experience was, interesting. So we boarded at 9.30pm on the 30th and some really big guy sat next to me. Now normally that wouldn't be a problem, but the only way I can sleep sitting up is if 1) I can rest my head on someone's shoulder or 2) I can scrunch my knees up so I'm curled up into a ball. Niether of these options were possible, so I hardly slept. My travel pillow helped a little, and I dozed, but did not sleep. Also, at 3am like 10 people started eating chicken. I have two problems with this. First, these people had been keeping this chicken in their bags and decided that 3am was the optimum time for eating said chicken. Second, since when have chicken wings been an acceptable travelling food?
 At 5.30am we arrived at Richmond, VA and had to wait for an hour to re-board. I ate my crisps (chips) and read my book but man, I was feeling rough. So when we re-boarded I was so happy that no one sat next to me. This meant I could put my legs up and sleep. I kept waking up and panicking that I'd missed my stop, but it was warm and I was happy. The next 6 hours passed relatively quickly. So we arrived at Greensboro, NC at 11.30am. I had 3 and a half hours to kill before my last bus.
  I went to the coffee shop and had a mocha, but that only took half an hour. I walked back upstairs and was happily surprised to find a 'charging station', meaning I could charge my dead phone battery and at least call Mum since it was 4pm in England, so she'd be just getting off work. So I was struggling to make my adaptor fit and saw a poster for free wifi - woohoo! So I spent the next three hours facebook-ing to Mum and chilling out.

Getting on my last bus was good cos there was wifi and the surroundings were beautiful. I got here and we got Chinese buffet takeaway (so tasty!) and put the boys to bed (so cute!) and then just hung out all night and spoke and laughed, and we really get on well, I'm so happy here.

I laid in until 9am, it was lush. Showered in the amazing a-million-nozzle shower and then helped out with the cleaning. Then we went to visit Emma's friend Jess, this kinda old guy who you can just tell is a nice guy and has had an interesting life. There were other people there too, and I always go by the feeling that if you can be silent with people, and it's not awkward, then you're gonna get on. It was silent, it wasn't awkward.

So then I got some food and we came back, just to chill out this evening.

I'm really happy right now, this is really good.

(Oh, and at time of posting Adam has come home - he exists!)

 Greensboro Transit Authority
 Greensboro Transit Authority
 First views of NC
Beautiful mountains

No comments:

Post a Comment