Monday 1 August 2011

1/8/2011 - My Last Day in Boone

Yesterday we spent just chilling out. Watched a couple of movies, ate rotisserie chicken, made some bracelets and generally nursed a hangover. Emma's Mum and Jordan left yesterday evening and I leave tomorrow morning. But I'm not leaving Emma quite yet. My flight is Wednesday so we're staying at her Dad's house tomorrow night, which is a lot closer to the airport than here. To take advantage of being so close, tomorrow we are going to a theme park come water park called Carowinds! I'm super excited and my ticket was only $35 since Emma could get them discounted through her bank.

But back to today.

I let Emma sleep in this morning, because as she said, once I'm not here that's not going to be such an easy thing to do. I took the boys to the Post Office with me, as little Adam kept telling me he wanted to go in the car. I dressed Enoch in his teeny Ralph Lauren shirt and pants and he looked so amazingly cute today! His little shoes topped it off a treat... poor kid. When we got to the Post Office, a woman that held the door for me proceeded to say, in a very 'holier than thou' tone - "Wow, you must have been just 16 when you had your boys..." - I'm used to people thinking kids are mine. Whenever I've been alone somewhere with my cousins Charlie and Lara, people sometimes look at you funny. Same kind of thing with Maria once. But this woman was so rude, and just derogatory, I didn't know what to say back to her except stumble out a "n..no, they're not mine." Silly really. Not that I wouldn't love to have kids as sweet as Adam and Enoch (and Charlie, Lara and Maria for that matter) one day in the distant future, and not even that I think it's unreasonable to think they were my kids because y'know, you do get young mothers. I guess it was just the plain and simple judgement of this woman that made me mad.
       On the way home from the Post Office, Adam had a tantrum because we couldn't go to the park. That was fun to deal with, in the car, on my own, on the 'wrong' side of the road.

When we got home, Enoch napped and Adam continued to tantrum. Then Enoch napped and Adam got time out. Then Enoch napped and Adam gave me a cuddle and watched Fireman Sam. Ledale dropped in and we gave him a ride to his work to pick up his schedule. I drove - scary times as I didn't know where I was going.

After this, we took a ride on the parkway to go see a waterfall.  'The Cascades' was about a 10 or 15 minutes hike from the carpark, so not far but really fun. And yes Mum, I am glad I packed trainers now, thanks. It was really pretty and the little stream (that would later turn into the waterfall) reminded me of Porlock in Somerset with Mum, Lucy and Paul. Little Adam done so well, doing the whole thing himself, including some particularly wonky steps towards the end which were a bit dodgy for me, let alone him! I'm so glad we went there today, it was such a great thing to do for my last day here.

























For dinner, we went to Birch Tree so I could say bye to Jess and everyone there. We ate KFC and the kids played and I added Jess to my 'postcard list'. Then came the ominous task of packing. Emma offered to help but there wasn;t much she could do except help me with the zips at the end. Despite buying things, I've also sent things home, so it all fits, just. I still haven't used the expandable pouch which is good. Another very very great point of this evening is Emma found my GHDs! They were in the bottom of a backpack that we took to Raleigh but I swear to God we'd looked through it at least 5 times. I feel sorry for asking Jordan to search for them in Raleigh now, eek. 

Got a lovely text from Jerry Parker wishing me luck, many people telling me to come back and/or stay and even acquired a free pair of shorts.

Boone, NC - I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment