Thursday 4 August 2011

4/8/2011 - Houma, LA

Yesterday was both sad and happy at the same time. Emma drove me to the airport and I said bye and gave the boys kisses. I wanted to say more, but I was afraid if I did I'd cry, and from previous experience I know that crying at an airport is not pleasant.

I'd done online check-in so I only needed to check my bag and go through security. For domestic flights in this country, you have to pay to check baggage - what a cheek! So there went another $20... ridiculous. Security was nice a quick compared to that at JFK or Heathrow, although they made me take off my shoes. I know that it's normal for security but I was wearing sandals! I'd like to see someone hide something in their sandals without walking funny and being very obvious. However, I've been told not to joke/talk to/make a fuss with the TSA at American airports unless you want to be arrested, so comply I did. I found my gate and sat there, taking full advantage of the free wifi.

Once I boarded the plane, next to two lovely old ladies en-route to Tampa, it was only a 50 minute flight to Atlanta. At least that was the plan. Charlotte airport had decided to change the direction in which planes took off from North to South, so it took 20 minutes to taxi around to the right area. This wouldn't have been much of a problem if I didn't have only 30 minutes to transfer at Atlanta, an airport that is infamous for being horrible and massive. The flight ended up being so short that the refreshments cart didn't even get to us at the front.

When we landed at Atlanta, I apologetically pushed passed the people in front of me since I only had 10 minutes to make my connection. Then I realised that the gate closes 10 minutes before departure and thought I was screwed. I ran anyway. But when I got there, because the flight was late they'd kept the gate open until as late as possible. I'd made it. The second flight was only a little longer but was much more entertaining. The captain was obviously a lot more fun, naming himself as Captain Luke Skywalker and the attendants as various other characters. We arrived at New Orleans 15 minutes early, which Captain Skywalker attributed to Chewbacca being able to convert the engines to hyperspace. I finally got out of the gate and met Gwen and Gerald, who I recognised immediately. Baggage claim and to the car was pretty simple, although I'd forgotten how heavy my bag could get, and I was so happy that my bag had made it to my connection considering how little time there was. Bravo Atlanta airport, bravo.

On the drive to Houma, we spoke a lot about the family, updating on what was going on at home. For those who don't know, Gwen is my Mum's best friend's Mum, and my best friend Nikki's Grandma. She married Gerald, an American and moved over here. She told me last night she's now lived here for as long as she lived in the UK. When we made it back here last night, we ate pizza and drank tea. Real British tea. It was gorgeous. Spoke more about our respective families who all know each other and had a relatively early night as I was travel tired.

What I did notice on the drive from the airport was a poster I didn't agree with, a big billboard saying "Abortion Stops a Heartbeat" with a similar slogan on the other side outlining how a baby can suck it's thumb in the womb. Although, I refrained from going into a full on rant about being pro-choice.

This morning I was treated to a gorgeous fry up, with HEINZ BEANS!! And real bacon - heaven. I got up at 8.30am. Not on purpose but more because I thought it was later. Showered and went to Walmart to get more credit for my phone and a wire so I could use the internet here.

I spent some of this afternoon reading Weapons of Mass Deception, which I still haven't finished and it continues to amaze me. The media manipulation and the use of private PR firms throughout the Iraq conflict is unbelievable. I also read a very interesting chapter on how the American Government took the Vietnam war and how it was reported to shape media coverage of the gulf wars. I studied Vietnam in high school for history, but more recently I wrote a paper on it for one of my Cambridge entrance essays. I remember Dave gave it an A, and I got an interview so it must have been pretty damn good. So reading about how the Vietnam War was the first war to be 'bought into the living room' was interesting to back up my prior knowledge. It was also good to see the other side that actually, up until the Tet offensive, the footage of the war was not at all gruesome, more like seeing plumes of smoke in the distance attacking the unseen enemy.

This afternoon, I spent some time in the hot tub which was lush. Spent so long in there that my fingers and toes started to go wrinkly and Gwen bought me a drink out. I saw a couple of lizards crawl across the patio and they look really fun. Apparently, they camouflage themselves into things. The hot tub combined with a soco and lemonade and combined with the heat here (115F today) made me really tired, so I took a hours nap whilst listening to Harry Potter. Now I'm up, I've written this and spoke to Chaz and James a bit. I also managed to Skype both Nikki and Mum this morning which was nice.

For dinner tonight, we're having fish and chips. Well, a variation of - catfish and fries. Gwen's been busy setting up things to do with her family her. Her niece Shannon does roller derby, and has a game in New Orleans in a couple of weeks. So I'm going to that and then she's going to show me around New Orleans after. On Sunday there's a BBQ so I can meet people and there's someone else (whose name I can't remember) who is going to take me out too. So the calendar is filling up! Oh, and also a good point, is that Gerald might, and I stress the word might, be able to get me a little bar job where he drinks because he knows the people. He told me that it's mostly old men who are regulars, I told him that it'll be just like the Entertainer back home then! Things are good here, I'm missing Boone lots already though. I'm sure I'll be back there at some point though, that's a promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment