Monday 8 August 2011

8/8/2011 - Anarchy in the UK?


No seriously though, riots huh? This is a waste. We could be having a revolution but all people want to do is burn things and wreck things. Although, history dictates that that's what a revolution generally entails. I read a quote from Theresa May, the Home Secretary, earlier and it said "the riots in Tottenham on Saturday night and the subsequent disturbances in other parts of London are totally unacceptable" - well Ms. May, so is the way that your Government is running the country. I'm hardly condoning violence, looting and burning things down, but maybe if austerity cuts weren't so harsh and people were more content, it wouldn't be as it is. I understand that the first 'riot' began out of a peaceful protest against the shooting of a man in London by a police officer, whether he 'deserved' to be shot or not is another debate but people have the right to peacefully protest, even if you disagree with their sentiments. 

Something that really gets me mad is the phrase "send them back to their own country". The people rioting are British, where do you plan to send them? I hate how the immigration debate comes up with whatever occurs, whilst these events are nothing to do with nationality. People assume that just because the man who died was black, therefore many at the peaceful protest and maybe the riots are black, that these people are immigrants. I hate that argument, you can't blame all the problems in our country on immigration. Jake sent me this flow-chart, I find it amusing yet scarily true at times. Yes, obviously it is bias, but so I am. 


Another thing that never fails to amaze me is how people can contradict themselves in the same breath. Someone I know who is decidedly right wing proposed that the EDL will "go in and sort them rioters out" - what!? Yes, let's fight violence with violence you idiot. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In more positive news, today I spoke to Mum for an hour which was so so lovely and also spoke to Granddad and Chris. I booked many things too. I booked my train to Houston, my flight to LA and my hostel in LA. After the chunk out of my budget today, I'm glad I'm helping Linda on Saturday night. Linda does F.U.N Parties, like Ann Summers, and I'm helping her out Saturday night for $10 an hour, so glad to earn some money. 

I also got an email back from ASU telling me about applying as a foreign student and giving me some useful links. I was worried as the woman said there were no foreign scholarships offered by the university, but after talking to Emma she assured me that most scholarships are private anyhow. My task for tomorrow now is to see how readily available they are. I also need to ask Lucy or Jen to explain how university actually works here, because I'm positive that I don't fully understand. Luckily, my predicted grades seem to fit kind of perfectly with their entrance requirements. 

Another positive thing today was getting an email from Joe! We arranged to Skype on Friday evening (UK time) so I can see him and everyone at the Entertainer - I'm really excited about that because I miss my job but more I miss the people. 

This afternoon we went over to Waterfalls, another bar, and I met more people, including creepy old men. Buuut we went out onto the back deck and fed the fish and turtles in the water below. There was one turtle that was massive and honestly looked like a monster! Still waiting on a alligator though...


No comments:

Post a Comment