Saturday 6 August 2011

6/8/2011 - That Ain't no Cromer Crab

Yesterday I spent the majority of the day in bar.

Seriously.

Gerald took me to 'Just One More', which actually reminders me of the Entertainer. A group of (mostly old) regulars who are nice people if not a little strange. The owner guy sits at the end of the bar, just like Joe does. Reminded me of home. But when we left, after a few ciders, the owner told me I'm "welcome any time, no one will bother you here." So that's nice. The whole reason for going there though was to eat. Gerald had cooked white beans, and a man called Raymond had cooked jambalaya. I didn't know what it was either. It's sort of like a paella with seafood and rice, but spicier. I liked it. Oh, and white beans are like baked beans without the tomato sauce.

After there, we went to drop Gwen some jambalaya at work and I met her boss and colleagues. We proceeded onto Dooley's where I met the girl who also works at Just One More. After a drink in there, we got word that Julius at the Tiger Lounge was hiring, Gerald knows Julius so we made our way over to there. However, Julius was out. So we had another drink. After this we made our way back to the house and I took a little nap. I've found that I want to nap in the day, like a siesta, I put it down to the heat.

I fell asleep listening to more Harry Potter and when I woke up, I finished reading Weapons of Mass Deception and began reading Chomsky's 9/11. It's difficult to describe what I took from Weapons of Mass Deception because it's all shocking, yet believable. Like Dave said though, I'm going to be so well read by the time I return home.

Gwen came home from work around 3 and for dinner, Gerald made some gorgeous pork, with white rice and boiled corn, he cooks really well. I'm considering making my Nanny's maple-glazed chicken in the week for them. Last night we went to Jack's Bar and watched a band, accompanied by some old people dancing. It was really sweet to watch actually. Then we went onto the Plantation Inn and saw another band before coming home around 10pm. I had planned to have a relatively early night last night, and I was sure in bed early, but then ended up listening to the end of the Chamber of Secrets until 2am. Resulting in me sleeping until 11am this morning. This morning, I went to get a drink from outside and something big flew at me! It was the size of a bat and that's what I thought it was. Freaked out, I said "Gerald.. there's something big out here!" to which he told me it was just a butterfly. Feeling suitably silly, I realised that this butterfly really was giant. Also this morning, I saw a little lizard up close, cute little fellas.

After making sure I knew the info on Emma's ID, emailing Mum, emailing Marie and of course getting up and ready, we left for Walmart. Shopping down, we went out to the dock at Bayou that a member of Gerald's family owns. It was an interesting ride into the countryside because all the houses had been literally picked up onto stilts after hurricane Katrina as a safety measure. Gwen told me that the way they do it, you don't even have to clear out the cupboards, it it literally all hoisted up at once. When we got there we sat by the water and watched the boats go by. Some were just stopping to refuel, others were pulling people to go tubing, and some were coming back from fishing. One guy came in from crabbing and said that he had 800 baskets of them! I had a look and these were no Cromer crabs. First off, they were blue. Secondly, they were pointy. Thirdly, they were mad, pincers all over the place. But then again I'd be mad too if I were them.

When we came back home, I worked out for n hour then spent some time in the hot tub... I could get used to this! It's time for dinner soon, which is good because I'm starrrving. Cuppa and biccies to relax for a bit I feel!

No comments:

Post a Comment