Wednesday 17 August 2011

17/8/2011 - Literary Genius!

The amount of books I've read since I've left home is pretty good.

  • Girl in the Mirror by Cecelia Ahern
  • The Memory Maker by Cecelia Ahern
  • Life and Laughing by Michael McIntyre
  • Weapons of Mass Deception by Sheldon Rampton and John Stauber
  • 9-11  by Noam Chomsky 
  • Angels and Demons by Dan Brown
  • The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
  • The Rough Guide to Conspiracy Theories by The Rough Guide
  • Liberation being the Adventures of the Slick Six after the Collapse of the USA by Brian Francis Slattery
  • Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels - The Communist Manifesto Introduction by Marshall Berman
Y'know, that's not a bad list for 7 weeks. Not that I really needed to read the last one, it really was pretty much the Marxism section from Heywood in last years Politics, but in all honesty I bought it for the cover art. 


I haven't been doing too much with my time, but I did find out here that these people mix the weirdest things. Jonathan and I went to get some snacks and I wanted popcorn, so I bought what I thought was just caramel popcorn. But no. When we got back I was told not only was it caramel but also butter (acceptable) and CHEDDAR! Not acceptable. You can't be mixing butter and caramel with cheddar! Craziness... In better news, I finally found the watermelon drink I've been craving for since New York, thank you Walgreens. Quite simply, you will never drink a drink better than this, fact.


Today Gwen has taken the day off work, which is really good of her! We're going to go to the store in a bit so I can buy new make-up (bore, I know) but I'm hoping that painting my nails will distract me from the impending doom that's awaiting me tomorrow morning - A Level results. I'm not exactly nervous, because I'm fully aware that I can't change them and I'm in a better place than some because I don't have a University place riding on them right now. But of course, I still want to know how badly I failed. Mostly because it will decide whether I'll actually apply to University or not. This is going to sound pretentious, but with tuition fees going up next year I don't want to pay 9000 pounds a year for mediocre education, I may as well just get a job and start earning. I doubt I'll apply for University if I get lower than ABB in these exams. Saying this surprises even me, because anyone who knows me will know that for as long as I remember I have been all about education and going to University... and without being totally egotistical, I am smart, I could do Uni just fine. But what's the point getting myself into lots of debt if my degree isn't worth the paper it's written on? Especially now I'm no longer looking at law, a profession, but into politics instead. So these are the things going around in my head right now. I've filled out a new UCAS application, just in case, but my hopes aren't high. 

I'm going to send some things home today, not to Mum though. I'm sending some of the books I've finished to a friend at home because I know he'll enjoy them and it saves me having to carry them around/Mum having to store them, and I'd rather they were used. 

Last night I re-found some satirical things I forgot I knew about, so enjoy!

Daily Mail-o-Matic - This from qwghlm.co.uk is hilarious. Even funnier because I can see the Daily Mail running these stories... ridiculous excuse for a newspaper. My personal favourite is "Are Brussels Bureaucrats ruining the memory of Diana?" Also on this site see the Alistair Campbell Wheel of Retribution and the David Blunkett Policy Maker. Very funny is the link to the Tumblr blog that categorises objects into two categories; things that the Daily Mail say cause cancer, and those that they say cure it. 

World Ideologies as Explained by Reference to Cows - It's very likely that if I passed Politics last year, this can take some credit, y'know apart from having an awesome teacher. I quite like the Capitalism one - "You do not have any cows. The bank won't lend you any money to buy cows, because you don't have cows to put up as collateral." 

Now after all this Politics waffle I don't have too much more to say, so have a smiley picture of me and be grateful for it! 


Bye! x

No comments:

Post a Comment