Friday 12 August 2011

12/8/2011 - Downtown Houma

The very most important thing I want to say is a great big Happy Birthday to my Mum. As lots of you will know, I miss my Mum more than anything because she isn't only the worlds greatest Mother but also my best friend and my inspiration, so I'm sad I can't be there today to celebrate with her.


Back to other things. Yesterday daytime was rather slow, but boy did it pick up! I spent the day yesterday planning my New Zealand route. Conveniently, I seem to be stopping in ten places, making the perfect 'a place for a week' arrangement. However, I'll probably have an extra week somewhere because finding accommodation in Auckland right now seems near impossible due to the Rugby World Cup, so I'm stuck with the 2 days I booked there originally. 

Last night we went down the Bayou to see Frank play at a little bar, which he'd turned into 'Cousin's Night' by inviting pretty much all the family. It was fun to meet everyone, but I'll never remember all their names, ever. It was a fun night, but strange also because little things kept happening. First of all, almost as soon as I realised it was past midnight at home (so officially Mum's birthday) Frank started playing Jump Jive N'Wail by The Brian Setzer Orchestra, a song Mum used to listen to a lot when I wasn't too much younger. in the car. Something else similar to that happened. Not long before I left England, my Great Uncle Kenny sadly passed away quite unexpectedly. We of course went to his funeral at the crematorium and one of the songs played was Knockin' On Heaven's Door. At the time, I'd never heard the song before. Since I've been travelling, I've heard it at least once everywhere I've been. Call me silly, superstitious, an idiot, but I really feel that it's Uncle Kenny looking out for me, a thought I've had for a while. So last night I took some time whilst it was playing to go outside and look over the water and have a little chat with Uncle Ken and say thanks - and drink a beer for him of course. 

Whitney and her friend Ashley were there too, so I hung out with them for a lot of the time there, although these two guys started talking to Ashley. One was normal but the other was a bit weird... 
Whitney asked me if I'd like to go downtown with them and stay at her place. I said I'd love to so we stopped by Gwen's to grab some clothes and went downtown. We first went to a bar where a band were playing, and they were pretty good, doing some good covers and probably some of their own stuff too. The drummer was really good, at the end incorporating two empty Bud bottles and a metal can into his kit. By the time we left there I was happily merry and we'd picked up another couple of people to add to our group. We went to a bit of a posher place, I felt it was a little pretentious but by that time was too drunk to care. From what I can remember, I had a shot of tequila given to me but I thought it was the same shot we'd been taking in the other bar which was good. So after realising it was in fact tequila, and being rather shocked, I knew I was going to be wasted from then on, and wasted I was. It would seem I tried to drunk text, of which I am a serial offender, but luckily not all my numbers for people in the UK have been given the +44 prefix for international, so I couldn't send any. We then went back to the first bar, and I remember being asked to 'say anything' so people could hear my accent. Got into the car to go back to Whitney's got about halfway and realised I was going to puke. Always the lady, I pre-warned and opened the car door haha! I fully blame the tequila, it's the only time I puke when I have tequila or sambucca. It does always amaze me how when people (including me) have to really concentrate to walk, they're still able to get to a bathroom or something to be ill, amazing. 

We got back to Whitney's, feeling a lot better as you often do after being sick, and continued. Not for long though, I was ready for bed. This morning I woke up quite early, so I done the dishes at Whitney's as a thank you for taking me out and sorry I puked gesture, and when she got up we spent some time watching Paranormal State until she dropped me back here. I'm not going to be doing much today. Skyped both Nikki and Joe (and the rest) at the Entertainer which was so lovely to do. Hopefully I can speak to my Mum in about 20 minutes for her birthday. Gives me a little time to eat and drink some tea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment