Sunday 7 August 2011

7/8/2011 - Amtrak vs Greyhound

Readers, I have a dilemma. This dilemma is how to get to Houston and when.

My options are as follows;
1. Greyhound Bus - 7hr 5m - $49
2. Amtrak Train - 9hr 18m - $51

Flying is not an option as it's $121 at the cheapest.

My train of thought goes like this. Most signs point towards the train being more comfortable and it has a cafe car. However, I've already done 24 hours on a bus from New York to Boone, so it's not as if 7 hours is going to be a shock to me. And is the extra comfort worth an extra 2 hours travelling time? I don't know. If one had wifi that would swing it, but neither does. I'm also a little annoyed that when discussing this today, one of Gwen and Gerald's friends lectured me about security and how the train is safer. I don't necessarily agree, though this person is not the only one who thinks this, it would seem. But this trip is not safe. But neither is the world. I could step out into the road in Great Yarmouth and get hit by a car. Someone in Great Yarmouth who I know got beat up for no reason the other night by people he doesn't know. I am not deliberately putting myself in danger, I'm not an idiot, and I know people worry about me, but I don't think I'm particularly more in danger here than at home. I can't be 'safe' all my life. I've already experienced the Greyhound. Aside from people eating chicken in the early hours, it wasn't a terrible experience. I wasn't in any more danger than I am right this second.

The example they used was that anyone on the Greyhound could "hurt you then get straight off the bus", well nothing stops people getting off a train either. Hell, someone could come into this house right now, hurt me, and leave. Someone on the travel forums even made the point of "travelling alone as a single female" - way to take a step back for feminism, I doubt I'd be much safer if I was a male or travelling with a male. I feel almost compelled to defend the Greyhound.

I'm just a little irritated right now. I know people just want to look out for me, but I am not silly and I'm not a little girl.
But I just cannot choose. So any help, pros/cons, suggestions in the comments or on my Facebook/email would be really appreciated.

Today, we had a little gathering here at the house. Gerald rotisserie-ed (it's a word!) a ham, which was glazed with a concoction Gwen made with ginger and maple syrup. There was sausages, chicken, rice, scalloped potatoes, salad, peas and garlic bread.  Then for dessert there was donuts, pie, apple strudel and fruit. I ate loads. So much for all that exercise I done yesterday. I got to meet everyone today. Linda, Rick, Shannon, Whitney, Peggy, Linus, Frank, Tammy, Dwight, Chris - the whole clan. Today was fun!

I made plans with both Shannon and Whitney. Shannon's taking me into New Orleans on the 20th to watch some roller derby (think Whip It!) and we're doing something else that morning that I can't remember. On Wednesday, Gwen is taking me Oak Alley and the Whitney might come met us when she gets off work because apparently there's a cat there that doesn't appear in pictures and a 'lady in white' ghost. Then on Thursday we're going down the Bayou to see Frank play at a bar, then after Whitney said she will either take me ghost hunting or to a couple of bars. Sunday, there's a big bike ride, about 6 miles, to raise awareness for bike's on the road that I'll probably go to. I haven't ridden a bike in years though, so might be a bit shaky to begin with, plus with this heat! However, I'll power through! And it'll fit with this nice little workout plan I have going on right now. So the days are filling up for sure!

Only 10 days now until the A-level results so I'm getting nervous. I also sent an email to ASU for info on applying as a foreign student, keeping my options open. Late last night I updated my journal, which is more what I'm using for thoughts and feelings, whilst this is more for day-to-day happenings.

I also finished reading Chomsky's 9/11, an interesting read compiling Noam Chomsky's reaction in interviews in the days following 9/11. He made some good points about how the term 'terrorism' is used. It's interesting that the USA, in 1986, was condemned by the World Court for "unlawful use of force" (international terrorism) and then vetoed a Security Council resolution calling on all states to adhere to international law. Chomsky outlines how "we should recognize that in much of the world, the US is regarded as a terrorist state, and with good reason." Another thought provoking point is the reaction to the 9/11 bombings - to begin a 'war on terror'. Take past terrorism; the IRA bombings in London did not prompt the bombing of Belfast (or Boston where much IRA funding stemmed from). When there was the bombing of a federal building in Oklahoma, there were calls to bomb the Middle East. This probably would have gone ahead if it had not been found out that the perpetrators were internal and American, after which there were no calls to obliterate Montana or Idaho. In these cases the culprits were found, tried and sentenced. The rule of law seems to be followed when deemed convenient. If you take an attack on a 'non-Western' country, say Nicaragua in the 1980s. The bombing campaign of the USA killed thousands of people and sparked an economic war that destroyed a small country; it may never recover. However, the reaction to this was not to bomb Washington. It was to proceed to the world court, as previously mentioned, although to no avail.

Another vital point that I believe Chomsky stresses is that "the Bin Laden network itself falls into a different category" that Islam as a whole, a fact often overlooked by media and individuals alike. This is highlighted by the Wall Street Journal who reviewed the opinions of 'moneyed Muslims' who are pro-American but critical of US foreign policy. This further detracts from George Bushes famous quote "You are either with us or against us." 


I seem to have just written a mini book review for you all... hmm maybe I'm getting withdrawals from writing essays.

I'm going to begin reading the Da Vinci Code next, which I never got round to reading. Reading for pleasure has been something that I didn't do throughout college due to lack of time, so it's good to be doing it again. The way I'm going through books I'll have to take a trip to the book store soon though.

Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment