Friday 30 September 2011

1/10/2011 - Tauhara Sunrise Lodge

Hey, so yesterday I wrote a lot about what I'd been up to and there were quite a few pictures, but I thought I'd better tell you all about what I'm doing for the next week or so and how I'm feeling about it.


Becky and Rob are who run Tauhara Sunrise Lodge, Becky runs the lodge full-time whilst Rob is a promoter for CleanEnergy. I'm here through the HelpX programme that I've told you all about before. If you missed it, it's basically work in exchange for food and accommodation. I love it and think it's a great idea especially as it's how I got to meet a lifelong friend in Emma (Hey Emma!) plus it's awesome for saving money. So the deal here is 4 or 5 hours of work a day and I get a lovely little private room (complete with electric blanket!!!) and can eat pretty much anything and get dinner with Rob and Becky. The hotel itself has 2 rooms and a sleep-out cottage and they're all of luxury standard. The two rooms downstairs are gorgeous, but the cottage is something else, I would love to live in it. It's one big room with the bed, mini-kitchen, TV, sofa, and little dining table, then you go through to a fantastic bathroom. Across the wall facing the lake is a gigantic window that gives amazing panoramic views both from the main room and the bathroom, so either from the bed or the big bath, you've got beautiful views. Last night I saw the view in the dark for the first time and it was just as breathtaking with all the sparkling lights. 


Becky serves breakfast every morning, then around 7pm she serves hors d'oeuvres (pretty sure that's spelt wrong) for the guests. Tonight the hotel is empty, which is very unusual, but last night we had a Canadian couple in the downstairs room and a Swiss couple in the cottage, to whom last night we served little lamb burgers with cranberry dressing, mini mince pies and hand cooked crisps with a homemade hummus. Becky really is a wonderful cook.


My work is general stuff, cleaning and straightening up. Aside from that Becky is learning the piano so would like me to teach her some and tonight I'm cooking for the people Becky has coming over for the rugby. I'm liking here and Becky and Rob are very hospitable. 


The only downside is that I'm ill. I have a horrible cold, which is unusual as I'm not prone to getting ill often. I think it's the sudden change in temperature from America to here combined with the fact that I don't have many clothes for cold weather. Becky told me to take the day off to rest today, but I couldn't just sit around so I changed the bed linen and done the bathrooms, just so I felt useful, and I dosed up on Lemsip to power through. I am chilly though, so I've taken to sitting next to the heater whilst I type this and try and upload the final videos to facebook of my Maori night, they're taking an age. I'm looking forward to speaking to both my Mum and Dad tonight because I miss them, especially when I'm ill and want looking after (Mum, some soup would be great right now...) 


So there we are, that's what I'm up to right now, speak to you all soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment