Sunday 18 September 2011

18/9/2011 - La Brea and Hollywood Boulevard

After I blogged last night, I made some friends! A girl from Australia called Jodie and a girl from Switzerland, I think she's call Celia. We ended up chatting and eating together. The hostel does $5 meals on a Saturday night, which is really good value and it wasn't terrible quality. Sure the macaroni cheese was cold, but the baked potatoes weren't, and the salad was basic but nice, and the BBQ chicken really was good - not at all bad for five bucks. After dinner we sat around talking for an hour or so, about our countries and the differences, our travel experiences so far and what we wanted to do. We sat outside in the little courtyard, where the tiki bar is and some tables. It's a funny set up, where the ground floor dorms are arrnaged around the courtyard with big sliding doors that you can't actually get through. We arranged to all go to the La Brea tar pits together and all went to bed around 10pm, I was so tired from a day of travelling. Even though I was knackered, the noise from outside was quite loud, so I decided to try out the melatonin tablets Marie had given me, worked a treat. Worked so well in fact that I was asleep in 20 minutes and slept right through the night. I didn't know how well they had worked however, until this morning, when Celia told me that another girl in our dorm had bought a guy back last night, and they'd kept her up all night because they were having sex! I did see this guy when I woke up this morning, but since I hadn't seen the other girl at all I assumed it was his bed! Turns out she was just behind him. Awkward.

I got up and dressed. Well no, I got into bed and got dressed. Luckily all those years camping with Mum and getting dressed inside the sleeping bag because of the cold, prepared me well for getting dressed under the covers so no one can see. Dressed and ready, I went for breakfast. Cheerios and peanut butter on toast set me up for the day, as well as a coffee. I also skyped Emma and she could finally hear me! Which was lovely!

Met up with Jodie and Celia and we were all ready to go. We walked up Fairfax Ave. until we reached the Farmers Market. Originally an actual farmers market, it now consists of a street of brand shops, but then an undercover market full of food stalls.We wandered up the street and stopped at Victoria's Secret for Celia. Me and Jodie looked around too, and the saleswoman insisted on measuring us up. Gone from a 34C to a 32D, I'd say that's a bonus! Then we went to Barnes and Noble so I could return my book. We walked through some bubbles and saw a trolley car, thinking it would be very expensive to ride, but took a chance and asked anyway - it was free! This trolley was a beautiful emerald green with gold features, it really was gorgeous. We rode it back to the beginning of the street and went into the market bit. It reminded me a little of Norwich market in how it was all covered, but the food on offer was amazing. I saw a man with what I can only assume was a large taco, shaped into a bowl. This was then full of food. So many different types. I had a strawberry lemonade and wandered around. I do love food.
















We left here and headed towards the tar pits. On the way we stopped at CVS and I bought some noodles for the noodle plan. 25c, bargain. And some batteries for my camera and sellotape for my journal. On the way to the pits, we walked past the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, and decided to go have a look at it on the way back, since the exhibit outside was so interesting.






We made it to the tar pits. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I saw them, but they weren't overly impressive. What was impressive was the sculpture garden we went into next. I can't say I know anything about art, in fact I'm totally dense, but I liked what I saw.











We went up to the actual museum after this, and there was a Tim Burton exhibition on which looked really cool. But it was $20, and I really can't justify spending that much, I wish I could.










So Jodie and Celia went and I split off on my own, Hollywood bound. Caught bus #217 and ended up getting off quite a few stops early, at Fairfax and Hollywood. I didn't realise the bus was going to continue. Anyhow, the walk down Hollywood Boulevard was nice and I finally came across the Walk of Fame. I followed it down the street and saw many other famous things as well as being asked five or six times if I'd like to 'view the special tour offers' as well as a "come back and see me when you get tired of walking around", and ended up at a Starbucks since it was so hot. Spent some time in here, but left after it got crowded, and walked back down Hollywood Boulevard on the other side. Passed by the Chinese Theatre and the Kodak Theatre, as well as many people dressed up as people. Got back to the bus stop and got offered a lift by some guy who I'd given the thumbs up cos of his music. I said no thanks, but in a way I wish I'd said yes. I know it's irresponsible to do something like that, maybe even dangerous, but I do believe people are generally nice. I don't know, I guess it would have been silly really. Bussed back to the hostel.


















Spent the evening talking to a guy from Australia who lives in Byron Bay, a place I'll be going. He said to look him up when I get there and we'll hang out, sounds awesome. Also spent some time teaching a guy from Ireland how to use his iPhone, hilarious. I'll probably make a trip to the Apple store tomorrow, since my iPod is playing up big time, hopefully they'll be able to fix it then and there. If not, it's going to be a long flight tomorrow night.

Booked myself in on the airport shuttle for tomorrow, going to pack tomorrow morning, and I'll be ready to hit up New Zealand - yay!

Got a free Snapple on Hollywood Boulevard, check out the flavour!

More pics to follow when I get them from Jodie.

1 comment:

  1. Brings back lots of happy memories for us seeing your pics., which are great. Have a good flight to NZ. Love you Lots Grandad & Chris xx

    ReplyDelete