Monday 5 September 2011

5/9/2011 - Bowling, Swimming and Pain!




Been feeling as if my arms are going to drop off. They've been really sore since Saturday, my biceps (as if I have muscles, ha) are in lots of pain and it hurts to straighten my arms. In fact, today I couldn't do it. How ridiculous, I go to one class and nearly die of pain. I'm inclined to blame it on the fact that I have never worked on my arms because it's my legs that I’m not happy with and want to make skinny.

Yesterday we went for a bike ride to Starbucks as planned. I know that my Mum and Paul are going to be smug though, they’ve been telling me I should ride a bike for years and now that I actually enjoyed it I think they’ll make me eat my words. It was a nice day yesterday, not too hot and really nice to ride in. I was on Ellie’s bike which was a little small for me, so I was doing twice the rotations that Marie was doing, but it’s okay, it’s all leg fat burning. Nancy came along too and done really well on her bike. It’s something I’ll probably do again once everyone’s back at work and school just take a little trip out to Starbucks. It had been spitting rain for some of the journey, which was nice because of the heat it cools you down and you dry quickly. I kept getting Mum’s voice in my head saying “Your skin’s waterproof isn’t it?”

By the time we got near Starbucks, the wind and rain had gotten quite heavy so that we couldn’t see too well, but it soon died down. Had a lovely vanilla latte (grandee) and spent some time people watching. Explained to Nancy that just because a man comes to Starbucks everyday it doesn’t make him weird, it just makes him a creature of habit. I’m very much like that when I’m home, I like to know what’s going on and I like routine. Anyhow, once we’d finished our coffees and Rob had turned up we went over to the AT&T store and played on the iPhones. Turns out, people had been using them to make calls after checking the call log, and some of the pictures people had left on there is hilarious. Must remember that if I want to call home, find a phone shop instead of paying! The ride back was more enjoyable, Marie swapped bikes with me.

Maybe an hour after we’d gotten back I felt a bit down. I felt very disconnected with myself and rather unbalanced. I get bouts of homesickness quite a lot, and this was one of them. Not only that but I’ve started to feel as if I’m stupid, like I know nothing. I talked it through with Dom and I get the feeling its America that makes me feel this way. It’s not as if the people aren't nice, but being 18 here I am still considered a child. At home, I’m an adult. I’m responsible for my own debts, I can buy alcohol, I can live on my own, I can get married, and I can smoke. Not only that but I've always been given a lot of freedom and trust compared to other people, and I do think I deserved it. If I hadn't been allowed to be independent would I be able to do this trip? Probably not.  I’m thankful to my Mum for that. This is why it’s so hard for me to adjust here to being a child again, where people think I am incapable of doing things and where my motives and feelings are questioned. In this country, I cannot think like an adult.  I suppose my A-level grades didn’t help too much either.  I don’t like being treated as if I am incompetent.

I had two glasses of rosé and felt mildly better. Drinking rosé did remind me of Rhea though, and that I miss her too. A gorgeous roast dinner made by Marie helped a lot too and of course Yorkshire puddings.
Marie, Rob, Nancy and I went for a swim and that helped me chill out a bit too, I really had worked myself up into a bit of a fluster. The water had cooled off a lot due to the rain but it was still warmer than most indoor pools in the UK. It was nice to just chill. Nancy took me on a world tour around the pool on an inflatable bed, ending with shark infested waters that I was promptly tipped into!

We all dried off and changed and watched a movie called A Shine of Rainbows which was mediocre but entertaining. It was about an Irish woman who adopts a little boy from an orphanage. She ends up dying and the boy has to get on with her less than welcoming husband. It was good really, and the obviously fake seal made us laugh. I felt a lot better today after some sleep.

Today we were going to go to the zoo, so Marie, Nancy and I loaded up into the car and headed into Houston. I’d forgotten how much I love playing music in the car. We got to the zoo and it was packed, I suppose because today is Labor Day. That’s sort of like a Bank Holiday where lots of things are closed, supposedly to represent the contribution to society and the economy by workers. We decided against the zoo and headed to the bowling alley. We were joined by Deb, Ian, Oliver, Ryan and Aaron. I haven’t bowled in years, and fully expected to be rubbish, but just look at these scores!



Okay, okay. So I was playing against three children and one man, but just look! I was proud of myself. I sat out for the second game; one game was enough for me, so just the kids played. Nancy was chief photographer.












 Once we got home, Marie went out for a works event, so Rob took us girls to Pei Wei for dinner, and Asian restaurant. The chicken Thai coconut curry I had was very nice, if slightly too spicy for me, but I didn’t attempt using chopsticks again, I learnt from my sushi experience that I am not good with them.  The food was very good though.

So now, here I am. Just finished yet another hot chocolate and just chilling out. Arranged to speak to home at 11pm because of the time difference, so waiting around for that I’ll probably read some more of Angels and Demons. Got to do boring things to like sort out my laundry, but I also want to proof read and edit my mini-article I wrote on the Juxtaposition of American and British Politics and Society. I don’t know if it’s any good, I wrote it in about an hour whilst sitting in a hot conservatory in Louisiana, but it’s a building block to work on, it has to start somewhere. I’ve also had two compliments on my writing this week, which was a nice little confidence boost to myself. My plan for tomorrow is to visit the Houston Space Centre so I must book my ticket for that in a minute; you get $5 off booking online. Yay money saving!

No comments:

Post a Comment