Sunday 4 September 2011

4/9/2011 - Ordinary Days

So I apologise for not posting anything since I got here on Wednesday night, but nothing major happened. And that's just fine. Relaxing I do well at.

Thursday I spent recovering from a day of travelling. I spoke to my Mum and my Dad which was nice, and watched The Terminal with Tom Hanks, it was pretty good, and appropriate considering the amount of time I'm spending in airports right now. I also took a swim and done some boxercise and yoga - all in all a good day. Shepard's Pie for dinner - yay English food!

Friday was also filled with speaking to people from home. Had a lovely talk with my good friend Vicki, who I miss a lot. She's going through some stuff right now which I wish I could be there for her through, but until I can, Skype is the next best thing. A lot of the evening was taken up trying to find somewhere to stay in New Zealand, because when I arrive it's the Rugby World Cup and although I'd booked my first night, I'd forgotten to think about crossing the international date line, so even though I fly on the 19th, I land on the 21st. Of course, I'd booked in for the 19th, and getting it changed looked slim because of the World Cup. I emailed Nomads Fat Camel in Auckland to see if they could change it, but I wasn't hopeful, so I started looking elsewhere. I also thought it would be a good time to start booking accommodation everywhere else in NZ. I made a list (I love lists) of where I'll be and when, and the hostel I wanna be in. I then trailed HelpX for money saving options. By this point I was quite stressed about money etc, because my budget is now £125 for accom, food and fun! I had a glass of wine to chill and came up with the noodle plan! The noodle plan dictates that I will now live off only food under a dollar, primarily raman noodles but this is not restrictive (McDonalds $ menu also accepted). Dom is convinced that this will drive me into a noodle coma, I disagree, I think the noodle plan is genius. Fajitas and wine helped me feel better.
Before I went to sleep, some good news came through from the Sequoia Lodge. They told me to contact them closer to the time, but I'd noticed in their listing that they are in a seaside town, so I mentioned Great Yarmouth where I am from. Turns out, the person who emailed back lived in Overstrand near Cromer, just up the road, for eight years! Not only that, but they were a relief teacher for Great Yarmouth High, Acle High and, get this, Cliff Park High School - my high school! Chances are that this person taught me at some point of my high school years! Amazing. All the way in New Zealand, what are the chances that I email them and we have all these connections? It really is a small world.

Saturday - This morning I went to the gym with Marie for a class that started at 9.15am. I know, I'm like a different person to the girl you all knew! The class was hard though, very difficult. It concentrated lots on strength which is not my strong point, and I didn't eat breakfast because I wasn't hungry, so I got some exercise nausea - ew. Looked it up later, nausea whilst exercising is indeed caused by an empty stomach. Ten minutes on the treadmill after class and my muscles were screaming at me, I sure am proud of myself though! There was a climbing wall I spotted at the gym, I might call them and see when that's open. I wouldn't even need a person to belay, they have belay machines! Marie, Ellie, Nancy and I went to the mall this afternoon, and I was very clever and bought 2 long sleeved shirts. NZ is just coming out of it's winter, so I need to prepare for colder temps. Then tonight after pizza for dinner, we went over to Marie and Rob's friends for drinks and some very nice snacks! I like to meet all these people, it's good fun. I think the plan for tomorrow is a bike ride to Starbucks, sounds good, and I plan to swim too as long as it's not raining. Oh! It rained today in Kingwood, amazing considering there's been a drought on!

In other news, it's my birthday in ten days and I'm very excited because I have special presents on the way! I am psyched, but I feel that 19 is a weird age to be. 

Must sleep now, it's nearly 1am, I've updated my iPod, drank my hot chocolate and ate my weight in party favours - bedtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment