Monday 3 October 2011

3/10/2011 - Kinloch

It's been a horrible couple of days weather wise here in Taupo, whilst I hear it's been glorious sunshine and hot weather at home in England. Basically, what I think has happened, is that someone told the Met Office I was here and that I was a little homesick, so they thought they'd 'help' and send some British weather over this way. Thanks guys, but I'm all better now! Speaking of being all better, my cold is pretty much gone. I'm still a little sniffly, but I think not going out in the rain and eating lots has helped me beat it. 

Saturday night, Becky had people round to watch the Rugby. The games were France - Tonga and England - Scotland. I stayed out of the way a bit for the France - Tonga, not really too interested in that and would rather catch up with Desperate Housewives, but I went in at half time and watched Tonga completely demolish the French. A shock yes, but a welcome one, though I did feel for poor Leah (a former helper) who is French and was obviously disappointed - France are still through however! Then onto the real game, but not before the guests tucked into some of the bolognese I made, Mum's recipe of course. There was enough to feed the army there, and we've been eating leftovers for the last 2 days! 



The England game was good, especially as we won, but only in the last two minutes! And Jonny Wilkinson was ridiculous... but I'll forgive him because he's gorgeous. Can't be losing to the Scots, honestly, they'll be wanting independence next... (kidding, Scotland, kidding! Take independence if you vote 'yes' in the referendum, whatever you wanna do y'know!). I crawled into bed after the rugby and had a chat with Mum, I still can't get over the time difference, so strange that she's just getting up when I go to bed. 

Yesterday I met up with Mum's friend Bryce and his partner Diane. They're lovely people and I met Bryce briefly when he came over to England a few years back. They picked me up around midday in the end, after some confusion about when I actually was and a heavy night the night before. We went for a bit of brunch at a little cafe, which was actually quite busy, so two cups of tea, prawn tortellini and some catching up later, we took a drive to Kinoch. On the way however, we stopped at a reserve, where we pulled up, climbed over a stile and walked down to the water's edge of Lake Taupo. 

(Fun side story, I just googled how to spell stile because I wasn't sure, so I typed in 'style walking' and what came back was "Ability to orgasm affected by walking style" - that is not what I was looking for, silly google.)

The views were just beautiful and I dipped my feet in the lake. It wasn't warm, but it was sure warmer than the North Sea! The water was also much much clearer than the North Sea. Diane told me how the lake was formed by a volcanic eruption and that if there's another one, the water will rise by another 10 feet! Then Bryce told me all about how they now think that there were people in this area even before the Maori and that there are Celtic carvings that point to some people similar to the Vikings.









After here, we continued on and had a coffee and cake at the Tipsy Trout in Kinoch itself. They were looking for a waitress for Christmas, half a mind to apply and just stay here forever (not really Mum, don't worry). We met a parrot who was very friendly and got a shock when Bryce gave it a peppermint. Basically, Bryce and Diane are lovely and I'm going to take them up on their offer to go and stay with them from Thursday to Monday. They did offer me their place for as long as I want but I'm afraid that I have a lot of places to see and just 8 weeks to go. 





Once they dropped me back, I done some work here at the lodge and started thinking how great it would be to go to the quarter finals game between England and France. Dreaming really, I looked up ticket prices but was expecting $1000+. For a Category D ticket, it was $190. £95(ish). But then I thought getting to Auckland would cost a lot... $60 on the bus, not bad. $50 to rent a car - even better! So it'd be £120 to go and watch England beat France (hopefully...). Especially after the French annoying me in Rotorua this would be nice. I decided to sleep on it because £120 is a lot of money on my budget, even if it's a bargain for what it is. Then, something amazing happened. Our very close family friend, let's call him 'h' (that's not code, he's not a secret agent, it's his name... or is it?), sent me a message on Facebook and said he wanted to buy me a ticket! What a bloody superstar! So I am over the moon! I bought a ticket and booked my rental car! So so stoked to go!

Today after waking up and assuring myself this all really was happening, I did some work at the lodge, clearing out the garage and decided against going out. There was a big storm here today and the weather was horrible, I'll brave it tomorrow. The plan for tomorrow is to go and pick up my ticket (yay!) and go buy an England shirt. Job done.

In other news, I'm getting 'grass is greener' syndrome, where I'm imagining my life when I get home and seeing it as perfect, through rose tinted glasses. However, is it really rose tinted? Because I'm pretty sure it will be awesome.

Oh and I'm home a month earlier now, February 24th.

Oh #2, Rhea is booking her flights to Bali on Wednesday, and the way it works out is we'll meet at Singapore airport and get the plane to Bali together since we both have a transfer at Singapore, funny how that works out. Unbelievably excited to see her, I miss her so much and we're gonna have such an amazing time.

Things are goooood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment