Friday 9 December 2011

9/12/2011 - I Don't Ask For Much,


But I really need some advice.
Today Eliza offered me a full time, paid nannying job here in Melbourne. A dream come true, right? Well no. My dream is political journalism. But it is an amazing opportunity and a great addition to my CV. But I don’t know if I could take it.
I wouldn’t have to cancel my trip, I’d just come back here instead of the UK. I would be paid and have a little studio flat above the garage, so obviously I’d be live-in. The family is great. The kids want me to stay, the parents want me to stay. Me and Eliza have become great friends. There would be four kids all together. Jade (13), Jarrah (10), Stella (8) and Griffin (2), then the two boys who come every second weekend, Benson (11) and Oscar (9), so it’d be pretty full on. 
What’s stopping me? Home and my plans. I miss my Mum an unbelievable amount we’re so close, and my friends (espeically Nikki, Lucy and Vicki) and other family too. Then there’s Uni. I have a confirmed place at the UEA. Tuition fees in Melbourne would be $24k and I can’t afford that, so I couldn’t study here. I don’t want to be sitting in a lecture hall with 18 year olds when I’m turning 21, I really don’t.
Then there’s the homesickness. I already get it pretty bad, surely it’d only get worse? I’ve made all these plans for when I’m home, I don’t feel like I can or want to cancel them. 
But overall, will this be something that in 5 years time I’ll look back at and regret if I didn’t take it?
My issue with decision making is simple. I quite often do not know what I want. I have an infinite amount of freedom to do exactly what I want, whatever that may be, but there lies the problem. I never know what I want. 
So if you have advice/suggestions for me, please please please comment or email (gerii.scott@live.co.uk) - all ridiculous and outlandish things accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment