Friday 30 December 2011

30/12/2011 - From Little Acorns

Well, what a wonderful time I'm having at Lyn's! Some new-to-me family I can relate to!

Wednesday night was my sushi making master class, and it didn't go too badly at all. In fact, it went very well indeed. I even had an apron, feeling like it was 2009 and I was in Mrs Heckles food tech room. Anyhow, here is my finished plate of sushi!


There's some chicken going on in there, some prawns, avocado, spinach, carrot, cucumber and omlette! It was really good actually, and wish some miso soup and Japanese mayonaisse it was delicious! 

Yesterday we had a full day of touist activities, beginning with the Sydney Aquarium which was suitably packed out to the edges. We got there by train, which was an hours journey yet it went quite quickly really. We took the light railway to Darling Harbour and after a wander around headed for the aquarium. After queuing for what seemed like a lifetime, we got some lunch in the cafe and then headed into the aquarium itself. The place was amazing, the best bits being the sharks and the dugongs, which were massive, as well as the giant crab. 

Green Screen Entry Shot with my Cousin David and some dugongs.
We were in the aquarium for a couple of hours but didn't stop for long between there and the wildlife park. I found the wildlife park much more interesting, especially getting a look at the koala and spotting the babies, then cringing at the size of some of the native Australian snakes and spiders. Also saw some kangaroos, which look very strange when they're laying down and also some free running emus. Yes, I got pecked. The best part of it all though, was getting to pet a koala! They're surprisingly bristly!

He looks less than impressed
After a stint in the gift shop (yes I bought a souvenir boomerang and didgeridoo, so sue me, I'm being a tourist) we wandered back towards the train station, but not before a quick stop at Starbucks, it's been a good month since I had a toffee nut latte and that's dangerous territory. 

Last night, I took a look at Lyn's family tree and how I fit into it. She's done a lot of work on it and it really made me want to get back into working on ours, so I downloaded the program she uses (MyHeritage, if any one is interested, it's free) and asked Mum to send me the file of our tree. So today I spent a good portion of the day putting in all those details to the new program. The earliest record we have of someone in our family tree is from 1790, albeit it only a name and marriage but that is over 200 years ago, amazing! It's actually really cool because you can select two people and it will tell you how they're related, so it stops all that confusing first cousin, once removed business. So officially, Lyn is my first cousin once removed, whilst David (her son) would be my second cousin. Glad we got that sorted out. 

This morning I had a little lay in before we headed into Paddy's Market in the CBD. It was an undercover market selling pretty much everything, but I was out for a cheap bag to use as carry-on since my Christmas presents won't fit in the bag I bought with me. I ended up getting one for $3 so it all worked out, but the crowds were stressing me out by then so I was glad to go get some lunch. After that we took a wander through Chinatown before going home via Museum Railway Station. Fun history of the station (well I thought it was fun): The station is totally underground because it was the second station (after central) to be buitl for Sydney's cityrail scheme, modelled on the London underground and New York subway. 


Looks similar to the tube, no?


Of course I know it's because of the empire and colonies etc etc, but the amount of similarities to London in Sydney is outstanding. Some examples are the street names - Downing Street, Oxford Street, Liverpool Street, in fact Museum Station was originally going to be called Liverpool Street Station. Then there's the parks - Hyde Park and Regent Park. 


At home tonight, I've been doing more things on the family tree. I really can't put into words how appreciative I am of Dan and Lyn, not only for letting me stay but welcoming me into the family (and for shouting me for a few things whilst money is tight) and also for wangling me a ticket to the Observatory for NYE. Yep, that's right, I'm going to be at Sydney Observatory tomorrow night watching the fireworks from the comfort of my picnic blanket with my family. No crowds, no shoving, no tall people blocking my view. It's not that I wouldn't have enjoyed going to the vantage points, or that crowds are a problem, but this is the much better option. The much better option by far. 

All things are looking up at the moment. I'll be back in Melbourne on Monday, I've sorted my accommodation pretty much everywhere and have back-up plans (in true Scott style) and even though I'm absolutely skint, it's all okay. 

Oh yeah, and I know you're all still waiting on pictures. It'll be number one on y to-do list once I'm back in Melb. 






No comments:

Post a Comment