Friday 30 December 2011

31/12/2011 - Beat you to it!


Yep, I'll be beating you all to NYE because of this lovely Southern hemisphere time difference. Since I won't have internet at midnight, as of 12am you are all so last year. (I've been saving that joke since September, I never claimed it was good and/or original.)

In the way of New Year's resolutions, I'm not too sure what I think of the resolutions I've made.

1. Relearn Spanish - In high school, I took Spanish GCSE and sort of carried in on a little afterwards but let it drop. Te other day we went past a Spanish restaurant and I was pleasantly surprised to find I could read most of the Spanish version of the menu, which inspired me to take up learning Spanish again. There are night classes at GYC which I might sign up for once I'm home, since I learn better in a group.

2. Practice the piano more - Again, this was inspired by seeing someone else play and remembering how I used to be able to play. As with anything, if you don't use it, you lose it and my piano playing has diminished greatly.

3. Lose weight and get fit - This obligatory and ambitious resolution I know is present pretty much every year on most people's lists, but I've got quite high hopes for it this year since Nikki and I are going to work on it together. I'm hoping that the extra push of having someone else to go to the gym with will help. And of course all that spare time I'll have between February and September.

I'm excited to go to the Observatory tonight to watch the fireworks. There's no BYO which is a shame, but I'm also told the bar prices are kept reasonable since it's a members only event so having a drink shouldn't be a problem. We're taking a picnic dinner of chicken sandwiches and I'll take another little packed lunch since I might be going straight to the airport.

My flight is at 7am, so I have to be at the airport for 6am, which means leaving the house at 5am. Depending on the timings, I might just go to the airport and have a little nap there before my flight, since it'll take about an hour to get back here from the city, we might not be back until 3am, leaving only an hour's sleep before having to get up and get ready. It'll be good to get back to Melbourne tomorrow though, I've missed it.

It's hard to leave my family here though, in these short few days I've become close to Lyn and David and it's fun to spot the characteristics that I have, that I never knew I had because they were hereditary. It's very strange how knowing your roots can make you feel grounded in some way. They've asked me to stay for longer, but I can't. I've said I might come back in 2012/13 though, which is something I'd like to do, maybe for a month or two.

Budget wise I'm doing well, and pretty soon I'm expecting an email from someone at home who has a brother in Hong Kong that I may be able to stay with, so that's positive. Not much is going on during the day today, we're just getting ready for tonight. I might have a swim in the pool since it did my legs the world of good the other day.

Today, this is my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment