Wednesday 7 December 2011

7/12/2011 - "Four for you Glen Coco...

...you go Glen Coco!"

Yep, tonight we watched Mean Girls. I've hit my budget for this week, with all the train booking and visa fees, so until the 10th my days are watching TV or wandering around Williamstown. Luckily, my host family are just the best. I'll be honest, for my first couple of days I wasn't so sure. Not because they weren't nice, but I worry that I'm not nice enough or that they don't trust me with their children. But today, there were a few moments that have made me realise that just two more weeks here is not enough. 

Eliza was making plans for Saturday because Ash's sons are coming to stay, so whilst he hangs out with the boys, us girls are going to check out Chapel Street and maybe see a movie. I mentioned how that'd be fine since my budget would be back by then, and she offered me money. Of course I'd never take it, it's not my money to take and I haven't earned it, I don't want it. But the fact that she cares enough about me enjoying myself that she would pay my way means a lot. Fleeting comments like that are what I pick up on I guess. Then later on when Stella said "I wish you could stay with us for Christmas... you're really nice." or when Jarrah asked me to be a helper for her end-of-term school trip to the water park (which I am totally doing by the way!). Or when Eliza told me to stay forever, that she'd take me on full-time and pay me and that she was getting attached to me. So anxiety gone, I'm doing my job right, the kids like me and the parents like me. Success. 

In other news, today I applied to be a TV presenter. Crazy? Yes. Especially as I'm pretty sure I've vastly under qualified. Well I say that... I'm under qualified in the sense that it's not something I've done before. On the other hand, the advert says that they are looking for young people, so surely they're not expecting experience. Furthermore, they wanted someone interested in politics and journalism (Erm, hello! What degree am I doing again?), moral issues (I do like a good debate) and children. The children one isn't so much my forte but I've done work with kids... from being a guide leader at the local brownies, to nannying half way around the world. The children bit is basically because the series of programmes will be about the lives of children in other countries and would be on the BBC, therefore the requirement is to be able to connect with children on their level, which I think I can do. Oh and then of course there's my now semi-vast travel knowledge. So I sent my CV and a covering letter off to this lady from Moonbeam. That was a job in itself, updating my dust-covered CV and using my best English to write up a covering letter. But it's done. Now it's not as if I'm expecting anything out of this, there are much better suited people than me for this role, but just applying has made me feel quite independent and self sufficient. 

After emailing some people at home, I spent my afternoon reading some more of the Bush Dyslexicon. In my opinion, the book is terrible. I got it because I thought it would be full of hilarious Dubya mishaps, but it's rattling on about Nixon and Bush Snr. and not in an interesting way. Tonight, we had a lovely Thai dinner cooked by Eliza and then the girls and I watched Mean Girls, complete with quoting, home made face masks and painting of toenails. 

As I type this, I've just received an email back from Moonbeam asking whereabouts I am now and will be in the next few months. They also want me to submit a short video clip of me saying why I'm interested in the position. Bugger, I'm going to actually have to be on camera aren't I? But I think the email is positive and they're looking to shortlist this week, fingers crossed. ("Crossssedd.. got my fingers crossed I get a jobby Freddy" - +50 points if you get that reference.) Top priority tomorrow morning, except for getting the kids to school on time (I slept in today and they were late, whoops, wonder where I get that from...) is to make a kickass video application. I didn't expect anything to come of this, what have I got myself into? Ha! 

I'm going to listen to some Harry Potter audiobooks and try and get some sleep. I need to sleep on this before I stress out and over analyse the email anymore. 




No comments:

Post a Comment