Thursday 23 June 2011

Writings from a hostel room.

Trying out variouus titles, all of them ending up a little sarcastic and satirical.

So I thought everyone back home in the UK might appreciate a little bit more detail than the last post, and considering I'm now overtired and one of the girls I'm sharing a dorm with is talking to herself in her sleep (causing me not to sleep), I thought I would introduce;

The Events and Emotions of Miss Geraldine Elizabeth Lesley Scott's 1st 24 Hours as an Independent Traveller/Woman.


(A bit too wordy? No matter.)


My last night at home was lovely. I'm not going to go into it because it's a lovely private memory me and my Mum have, but let's just say it was all I could have wanted out of a last night.

So on Thursday 23rd June, 2011, me and Mum got up at 5am. Okay, Mum at 5am, me at 5.15am with a cuppa beside the bed. Swiftly got ready and left for Norwich. The last few months have been teary for us anyhow, so you can imagine what this last day has been like. Arrived at Norwich with time for a coffee before boarding our train to London Liverpool Street. Had a few little cries but held it together better when a woman wanted to sit with us because we had a table. She had her laptop out and Mum rightly observed that she's done all her work before she was even at work!

Off the train, onto the underground.
Central line to Holbourn, change at Holbourn for Piccadilly line to Heathrow Terminals 1, 2 and 3. This is where it started to get worse. Couldn't look at Mum properly for lots of the journey because I would've been a state.

Finally got to Heathrow and check in was lovely and easy and everything went smoothly. Had another drink with Mum, cried lots more, proper tears this time (welling up thinking about it) and the woman in WHSmiths assumed I was emigrating.

This sadness comes in waves. Well actually it's not sadness, it's wanting Mum to come with me. Not even to look after me but just cos I love her. Had a crazy moment earlier when I said "Just come with me Mum, quit you're job, I'll pay on my credit card!" - as if my credit limit is high enough, pft.

So the worst bit was going through the gate, and waving bye to Mum. Can't write anymore, too emotional and there's two other people in the room - I don't need to emabarrass myself on the first night.

We were then held, on the plane at gate 3 whilst they fixed a 'faulty fuel gauge'. In this time I read all of Cecelia Ahern's Girl in the Mirror and the Memory Maker.

I tried to have a conversation with the Jewish man next to me, but he proceeded to fall asleep which is a state he would remain in for the rest of the flight. Finally after about an hour of sitting on the runway, in the heat, doing nothing we took off!

Watched Just Go With It which was a typical Jennifer Aniston RomCom, but that's fine, I like them. Then watched some Disney Channel. Read some of my Michael McIntyre book, then it was dinner time. I wanted curry, all they had left was beef casserole, I settled. There was also a little greek salad, some water, an apple and a little bannoffee pudding. I then had a cup of tea and played Who Wants to be a Millionaire on multiplayer against the other passengers. I got to 32,000 and some guy in seat 70G beat me!
So then I wasted some more time, and started to watch The Dilemma, didn't get to the end, but I guess he tells him. After 7 hours of flying, we started our decent.

Landed at JFK and made my way through immigration - all my finger prints and a picture, bit excessive no? Baggage claim was fine, and then the nightmare begins.

Never, Never, book onto the supershuttle in New York. What was supposed to happen was a van came, and we waited for it to fill up, then took everyone in order of who was first. What really happened is I waited 35 minutes, got in the van with a French lady and her little boy and then we spent an hour going round to all the other terminals for other passengers. hour hours after I originally land, I get annoyed. We'd been driving around new York, seemingly aimlessly, for hours. So I got out. I stopped him and I got out, and went a got a cab. I was at my hostel within 15 minutes!

Met two Norwegian girls, watched Knocked Up and went to sleep... lurvley!



No comments:

Post a Comment