Saturday 25 June 2011

25/6/2011 - Day Three

So last night I met this girl from Malaysia, she's really nice, but I can't for the lief of me remember her name. I saw her at breakfast and she mentioned she was going on the Staten Island Ferry today, and since I hadn't planned anything, again, I asked if I could go along.

So we got the subway, which I am slowly getting the hang of. It's not like the tube at all like I thought it was. So say in London, if you get the Central line, not much can go wrong. If you're going in the wrong direction it will just take you a little longer because it goes all the way around. Plus, there's only one train on there. New York, no, no. Take the Lexington line and it does not go in a circle, it goes north to south. Then there;s trains 4, 5 and 6 on there! Probably more I don't know about too. So confusing. Anyhow, the metro card I got for unlimited travel for a week is awesome.

So yeah, we wandered through a little park and saw a guy dressed as the Statue of Liberty. Jumped on the Staten Island ferry, which is FREE! (Awesome!) And saw the Statue of Liberty. I mean, it's awesome to see what you see in the movies and stuff but y'know, it's just a statue. We got onto the Island and sunbathed for a little, resulting in me getting burnt. Must remember to apply suncream; slip, slap, slop and all that. On our walk back to the harbour, we found a street piano, so of course I bashed out my beautiful (painful) rendition of I'm Yours by Jason Mraz. Drew a bit of a crowd actually, and I got an applause. I curtsied, cos I'm English.

Got the ferry back and it was time for me to go because I had to go to Latasha's, the woman who was to be my first HelpExchange host. So if you don't know what HelpExchange is, look it up here www.helpx.net
So yeah, I got back to the hostel to get my backpack, but got chatting and ended up staying for a while, didn't really wanna leave. Got to Latasha's and found that she is, in fact, a slave driver. She made me hand scrub her floors, 5 times. Then she inspected, and made me do it again because it wasn't good enough. This is after I'd already washed up the biggest pile of dirty dishes ever. She then told me I could do the bathroom after she was done in there. I thought 'fuck this' and got outta there. Told her I was going for a coffee, but she wouldn't let me leave. So when she went back to her room I legged it. Emailed her and told her it wasn't gonna happen, then blocked her number and email address.

So this second I'm sitting in the hostel, hoping that a bed frees up. If one doesn't, the very nice owner man has said he'll sort something out for me. I like the people here, on the whole. Might end up kipping on the couch tonight, but that's not an issue, much better than that woman's house!




Have some pictures from today! Love you guys! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment