Tuesday 31 January 2012

31/1/2012 - Mumbles About Nothing


Welcome to another one of those 'Geri rambles on like an idiot about nothing' posts. Nice of you to join me this evening. Are you sitting comfortably? Then we shall begin.

I've tried to live this whole trip by the above quote. Sure, when I was hand scrubbing a kitchen floor in New York it wasn't what I'd imagined from travelling, but it's a story, and a hilarious one at that. Mostly I've had good times though, very good times.

I left Bali this morning and got to Singapore this afternoon after managing to fall over on the plane during some turbulence right onto my bum, causing me to get a massive purple bruise on my leg from hitting it on the arm rest and continuing my one woman campaign to embarrass myself worldwide. My last day/night in Bali was nice though. April and I went with a German girl we met to a shopping centre in Denpasar which was a complete failure but it was an experience. Then we asked two separate taxi drivers to take us to a post office on the way to our next destination and neither of them did but we ended up at a much better shopping centre where I got myself a beautiful Balinese dress and some traditional paintings so I can be all pretentious when I'm home. "Oh those old things? Just something I picked up on my travels to Bali. Yes yes quite... Jeeves bring another glass yes please." - as if I could ever be pretentious, I'm from Norfolk for Christ's sake. April and I ended up going to Pizza Hut for dinner last night, after waiting a million hours for McDonalds to be delivered (it never came). As a former Pizza Hut employee, I liked it. Because I've heard that matters to Indonesian Pizza Huts.. whether a British waitress likes their food?! Pfft. It was good, they have chicken in the stuffed crust, if something has extra chicken it generally pleases me. I'm easily pleased.

 I've been craving British things all day today, so I've made a plan when I get home to have a fry up and a cup of PG Tips whilst watching Jeremy Kyle in my PJs. Just now I got an email about a job I applied for, the manager has been trying to get hold of me on the phone but obviously can't... I'm thinking that him emailing me asking to call is a good sign, because if he wasn't interested he'd just drop it, surely.

Dom left England a couple of hours ago and I'll be leaving here in the morning so we can meet by baggage claim tomorrow... he says he has all these surprise things planned for Vietnam, I'm pretty excited. I want to ride an elephant, can you do that in Vietnam? In all honesty, a hot shower is my main priority right now. I don't care how good cold water is for my hair, it makes me shivery. I'm spending tonight watching An Idiot Abroad and feeling that the whole show is just a rip off of my experiences - ha! I wish I could actually go all the places he does... maybe one day huh? I'm sure this isn't the last of my travels.

I've been reading Keep the Aspidistra Flying by George Orwell and after 1984 I'm so disappointed. But I refuse to leave a book unfinished, maybe I'll go for Animal Farm next time. Been making a few plans for when I'm home. Got a Thai night at the pub the night after I'm home, I'm booked in with Nikki for pancake day (it's a little tradition for us - aw!) and then with Vicki before she goes back to Canterbury. Lucy is going to be picking me up from the airport and Rhea is coming to the Thai night. I'll be going to Oxford to visit Jake and Russell is going to cook me dinner. Plus I've got a dirty GY night with Georgia and Shauna planned. Basically I'm going to be a busy girl for a couple of weeks after I'm home. That's not to mention my family!

Tonight I have my hair in a million little braids, like you do when you're a kid, to try and give myself some fake beach hair tomorrow morning. I really need to get some of that salt spray, but for now I'll settle for looking like I'm in a 90s girl band. I mean a different 90s girl band to the one I usually look like I'm in. Other things I've discovered today are airport trolleys. This sounds so silly after travelling for 7 months right? But because I have a backpack, not a suitcase, I guess I never considered using the trolleys. Plus in America they charge for them so I never thought they might be free elsewhere! In Singapore they are, and how nice it was just to stroll around without 22kg on my back, it's nice not to feel like a turtle all the while. I faced stairs with my backpack the other day and genuinely thought I might fall and get stuck on my back, legs akimbo. That really is a fear of mine, as if I don't make a fool of myself enough.

I've been muttering on for a little too long now and I'm not really sure any of it makes sense after all, so I'm going to try and get some sleep before I get any worse. See you all on the flip side! (Did I really just say that?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment